Monday, August 9, 2010

Encino Park RoboCamp - Day 1

I spent this morning at the Encino Park Elementary School Robotics Summer Camp.  EP has a great crop of new faces learning about Robots.  The school district has made some cuts that resulted in a great bonus for the Robotics Club.  The Club now has the exclusive use of an entire Portable Building, well furnished for its needs.  There is enough space to allocate half the building to playing fields, and the fields can stay set up continually.  Each team has a worktable for its building and programming tasks.  Miss Craig and Ms Herrera were the camp's "counselors" and they ably directed the student teams.  Mrs. Pearce helped in several areas.

During today's camp, I worked with several of the teams, providing a little guidance here and there.  As I told the students, I get my reward when the little light comes on and a student gets a new insight or understanding.  That happened today when one of the kids was telling me about controlling motors, and asked "what happens when the motors move in opposite directions?  OH - it TURNS!"

Today the teams made differing amounts of progress, but a couple of teams actually put robots on the playing field and made them move around. 

My friend and fellow IEEE Life Member Jim Brakefield came to today's camp, and I think he made useful contributions to the kids' progress.

I'm looking forward to tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment